Ombud asked: Resolve plunder case vs Arroyo-A A +A
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
BAYAN Muna party-list representatives on Tuesday filed an urgent motion asking the Ombudsman to immediately resolve their complaint against former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
The complaint filed last year is for the non-bailable offense of plunder and graft over the malversation of funds of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).
In an investigation conducted by the Senate, it was revealed that between P150 million to P350 million of the PCSO funds, including its “Public Relations Fund” were realigned to its supposed intelligence funds and now cannot be traced.
“We filed this case earlier than that of the NBN-ZTE complaint but it seems that this one is gathering dust. The NBN-ZTE case is now being heard at the Sandiganbayan, and we also want this one to be resolved immediately considering that the case here is plunder,” Bayan Muna Representative Teddy Casiño said in a press statement.
“We believe that this is a very strong case against Gloria, especially since her co-accused Uriarte admitted the irregularities under oath and would be a very big push for our campaign for accountability,” he added.
Casiño was referring to former PCSO general manager Rosario Uriarte.
Uriarte, who served PCSO from 2003-2010, was given the sole authority to disburse intelligence funds which came from PCSO's public relations funds. She eventually admitted that she issued and encashed the checks with respect to intelligence funds.
Representative Neri Colmenares, for his part, stressed the need to immediately file a plunder case to ensure that the former President will not be able to post bail.
“As for former PCSO Manager Rosario Uriarte, we know that you were used by Gloria to get what she wants, this is the best time to tell all you know and turn state witness,” Colmenares said. (Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)