Government to spend P2.5B for 'responsible parenting' program-A A +A
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
WITH or without a law on reproductive health, the government will spend P2.54 billion for its family health and responsible parenting program in 2013, a leader of the House of Representatives said Wednesday.
House Deputy Speaker Lorenzo Tañada III said the funding for the program is included in the Department of Health's (DOH) proposed budget of P56 billion for next year.
The state's proposed national budget for 2013 has been sent to Congress for its approval.
In the National Expenditure Program uploaded at the Department of Budget and Management website, the breakdown of the P2.54 billion will be as follows:
* Central Office -- P259.43 million
* National Capital Region -- P144.63 million
* Ilocos Region -- P122.46 million
* Cordillera Administrative Region -- P46.3 million
* Cagayan Valley -- P56.95 million
* Central Luzon -- P161 million
* Calabarzon -- P182.69 million
* Mimaropa -- P103.45 million
* Bicol Region -- P202.2 million
* Western Visayas – P182.69 million
* Central Visayas -- P160.4 million
* Eastern Visayas -- P158.83 million
* Zamboanga Peninsula -- P158.82 million
* Northern Mindanao -- P145.64 million
* Davao Region -- P120.17 million
* Soccsksargen -- P125.41 million
* Caraga Region -- P85.79 million
* Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao -- P122.58 million
Tañada said the funding for the family health and responsible parenting program is "not in any way connected with the aggressive push" for the enactment of the reproductive health (RH) bill.
He said the program is an institutional project of the DOH.
"In fact, the same program is being implemented this year with the same funding level. You can clearly see that there is no augmentation in anticipation of the RH bill's passage," the House leader added.
Tañada also belied allegations that the fund will be used for an "abortion tools buying spree."
"First, abortion is illegal and will remain so even if a reproductive health or responsible parenthood law is signed. Second, the Department of Health’s menu of activities under family health does not center on birth control but on the promotion of the well-being of the family," he said.
The DOH budget, meanwhile, also includes P13.6 billion for the enhancement of health facilities which covers 2,243 rural health units and some 62 government hospitals. (Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)