Malacanang welcomes survey on disaster preparedness

-A A +A

Thursday, September 27, 2012


MALACANANG on Thursday welcomed a recent Pulse Asia survey where the Aquino administration obtained a grade of 80 for its disaster preparedness efforts.

Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said the government will continue to step up efforts for a more intensive disaster risk reduction and management procedures in the face of typhoons and calamities.

"We continue to study ways of improving our disaster preparedness and certainly we are grateful to the Filipino people for appreciating the efforts of the government and also of the President," Lacierda said.

Advertisement

The government underscored the contributions of the media entities for helping the government in the information dissemination especially during the onslaught of the southwest monsoon earlier this month.

Lacierda noted that the social media and the people helped mobilize assistance and rescue efforts to the victims of massive flooding in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DWSD) managed to immediately preposition the relief goods in affected areas because the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services (Pagasa) managed to immediately relay the accurate warnings to the government, the media and the public.

President Benigno Aquino III earlier directed the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) to improve its information dissemination campaign to immediately and accurately convey its warnings to the public in times of calamities, Lacierda said.

In response to Aquino's instructions, the DOST, in close coordination with the Pagasa, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology and other concerned agencies put up a responsive program for disaster prevention and mitigation in a bid to reduce casualties and property loss from extreme hazard events.

"These are all instructions coming from the President. The President wanted DOST to 'laymanize' their warning system to make it more understandable to the public and for continuous coordination with media," he said.

The national administration received passing marks for its disaster preparedness efforts," the respondents said in the Pulse Asia survey, conducted on August 31 to September 7, 2012.

The administration obtained a grade of 80 out of 100, with 75 as the passing mark, for "disaster preparedness initiatives, speed of its response to the needs of calamity victims and effectiveness of such response.

The nationwide face-to-face surveys had 1,200 respondents aged 18 years old and above. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pacman blog
  • ePaper
  • Technology
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • Habemus Papam
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • tell it to sunstar