MNLF 'part of consultation' on Bangsamoro deal-A A +A
Thursday, October 11, 2012
MANILA -- Malacañang insisted Thursday that the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) was consulted on the Bangsamoro agreement forged by the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
MNLF founder Nur Misuari warned to resume its armed struggle in Mindanao if the peace deal will push through, saying it was a "slap on the face" of members of Muslim countries as it violated series of agreements negotiated by the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC).
With this warning, Sulu Governor Sakur Tan has asked the MNLF "not to unleash the dogs of war."
"We certainly welcome the statement of Governor Sakur Tan. We already have stated from Secretary Ging Deles and also from Chairman Marvic Leonen that the MNLF has been consulted and, in fact, OIC has been working towards that," Lacierda said.
He added that the MNLF will have representation in the Transition Commission, which will craft a new law on the proposed Bangsamoro region.
Malacañang refused to judge if Misuari group still has the capacity to launch unrest in Mindanao.
"I am not in a position to answer that. I have no knowledge of the capability of Nur Misuari," Lacierda said.
The framework agreement, which aimed at ending the conflict in Mindanao, is scheduled to be signed on October 15.
Among the expected attendees are Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, MILF Chairman Al Hadj Murad, MILF contingent and other partners who helped in the successful conclusion of the peace talks in Malaysia.
It will be the first time Murad steps in Malacañang, Lacierda said.
Prior to the signing of framework agreement, Prime Minister Razak and President Benigno Aquino III will have bilateral meeting.
Aquino announced last week that the government and the MILF were nearing to sign a peace deal aimed to end conflict that has spanned two generations and has taken the lives of more than 100,000 Filipinos.
The Chief Executive said the framework agreement laid down the ground work for achieving the "final and enduring peace in Mindanao by enjoining all stakeholders to support the implementation of the needed 'structural reforms'."
Under the framework agreement, a new political entity will replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao and will be named "Bangsamoro."
After the signing of the framework agreement, the President will issue an executive order creating a transition commission.
The commission will recommend a draft bill to Congress creating the Bangsamoro and Congress will then deliberate on the Bangsamoro Basic law.
The people in affected areas will be consulted through a plebiscite to know their stand on the proposed Bangsamoro. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)