Party-list groups urged to appeal delisting-A A +A
Thursday, October 18, 2012
SPEAKER Feliciano Belmonte Jr. urged delisted incumbent party-list groups in the House of Representatives to appeal the Commission on Elections (Comelec) verdict before the Supreme Court.
Last week, the Comelec rejected the accreditation of party-list groups Ako Bicol, 1st Consumers Alliance for Rural Energy Partylist (1-Care), and the Association of Philippine Electric Cooperatives (Apec).
As the topnocher in the 2010 party-list race, Ako Bicol has three incumbent representatives, 1-Care has two, and Apec has one.
"I'm 100 percent sympathetic with the people who are already here and whenever they ask me for advice, I say, the soundest advice I can give is that Comelec's ruling is still appealable to the Supreme Court. So, do whatever you think is proper," Belmonte told reporters in a briefing.
The three party-list groups are among the 124 groups already accredited in the previous elections. More than 160 others are new applicants.
All of the disqualified party-list groups may appeal the Comelec's decision before the Supreme Court, the House leader said.
Belmonte said, however, that he does not agree with the piecemeal release of disqualified party-list groups, which Ako Bicol was also protesting when their disqualification was announced to the media.
"I will not be doing that if I were in their shoes. I just go ahead, do it and announce it. I won't say that there are 100 (groups) that we will axe,” he said.
Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. earlier said that at least 100 groups will be disqualified by the poll body. The final list of qualified party-lists will be released before the year ends. (Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)