Family of Pinoy killed in Saudi blast to get assistance-A A +A
Friday, November 2, 2012
MANILA -- The Philippine government assured on Friday that it will provide the necessary assistance for the family of the Filipino who died in a fuel truck blast and building collapse in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a radio interview that the government already extended its condolences to the family of Florentino Santiago, a truck driver, who was among the 22 individuals killed in the blast on Thursday (Philippine time).
The explosion occurred after a fuel truck crashed into a flyover. The blast brought down an industrial building and torched nearby vehicles. Authorities in Riyadh said aside from the fatalities, more than 110 people were injured, 10 of them are Filipinos.
Valte said the Philippine government is also extending assistance to the 10 Filipino workers who were hurt in the blast.
"Binabantayan po ‘yan ng ating embahada at sinisigurado na all the necessary assistance is being given to them by their employers," she said.
Valte also said that the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh is coordinating with the employers to ensure the safety of all Filipino workers there following the tragic incident.
The repatriation of Santiago, however, is still being worked out by the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, said the Department of Foreign Affairs.
Santiago's wife, Jocelyn Santiago, told local radio interviews she had been told her husband was sleeping in his truck near the explosion when he was killed.
There was no immediate suspicion of terrorist links based on witness accounts. (PNA/AP/Sunnex)