Pinoy killed, 10 others injured in Saudi blast-A A +A
Friday, November 2, 2012
MANILA — Philippine officials said a Filipino truck driver died while 10 others were injured when a fuel truck hit a bridge and exploded in the Saudi capital Riyadh, engulfing buildings and cars in flames.
As of Thursday, authorities in Riyadh said at least 22 were killed and more than 110 people were injured.
Department of Foreign Affairs' spokesman Raul Hernandez on Friday identified the man killed as Florentino Santiago, who was identified by his brother-in-law, who was also his co-worker in a tractor company in Riyadh.
Hernandez says the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh is making arrangements to repatriate Santiago's remains and assist the victims.
Santiago's wife Jocelyn Santiago told local radio interviews she had been told her husband was sleeping in his truck near the explosion when he was killed.
There was no immediate suspicion of terrorist links based on witness accounts. (AP)