Palace assures strict security measures for Nazarene feast-A A +A
Saturday, January 5, 2013
MANILA - Malacanang assured Saturday that strict security measures will be implemented for this year’s Feast of the Black Nazarene to make the celebration orderly and safe.
In an interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that the preparations for the January 9 festivity, which is usually being participated by millions of devotees of the Black Nazarene, will be equally tight as last year's.
Although she stressed, “last year’s case was very different as you all know.”
A few days before the feast last year, President Benigno Aquino III disclosed a possible terrorist attack, prompting security personnel to be placed on red alert.
Even mobile phone companies were asked to jam phone signals in Quiapo and surrounding areas to ensure that no bomb attacks using cellular phones as triggering devices could be used.
Valte said that National Capital Region Police Office chief Dindo Espina has already been meeting with the Church officials and with the local government officials as to the preparations to be taken for the Black Nazarene feast on Wednesday.
“The preparations will be equally tight although last year's situation was different, given that it was a unique situation last year,” she said.
Last year’s feast was recorded as the "longest procession" as it took more than 22 hours.
Among the activities during the event will be masses at the Quiapo Church and a procession around the district. (SDR/Sunnex)