Aquino: Crime volume down by 10%-A A +A
Saturday, January 12, 2013
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III said Saturday crime volume in the country declined by 10 percent in 2012 from a year ago level, but crimes in Metro Manila have continued to increase.
"There has been a recorded 10 percent decrease in crime volume for the entire country from 2011 to 2012. Kidnap-for-ransom cases I am told have declined from 25 cases in 2011 to 11 cases in 2012. There has been an even greater decline over the years. In 2009, cases perpetrated by organized crime groups stood at 35. This has gone down to 21 in 2010, 11 in 2011, and, I am told, six cases last year," he said in a speech during the 20th anniversary of the Movement of Restoration of Peace and Order (MRPO) in Manila.
Aquino said there was also a drop in kidnap-for-ransom cases perpetrated by terrorist groups, with only five recorded cases in 2012, down from 25 in 2009.
"Specifically in Mindanao, kidnap for ransom cases have declined to only five incidents in 2012, compared to ten incidents in 2011, due to proactive efforts to promote community awareness and cooperation," he said.
The Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG) of the Philippine National Police (PNP) has arrested 29 personalities involved in kidnapping cases in the previous year, all of whom have been charged for their crimes, he said.
"The AKG also continues to work towards preventing and solving kidnapping cases, through a three-pronged strategy that involves intelligence gathering and sharing, conducting community awareness campaigns; tactical and strategic management of incidents; and the enhancement of investigation capabilities," the President explained.
Aquino, however, admitted that much work remains to be done to suppress criminality in the country.
"For instance, despite the decrease in overall crime incidence, crime volume in Metro Manila has increased from 2011 to 2012," he said.
But he explained that the increase in crime volume in the National Capital Region (NCR) was the result of a new method to more precisely capture the crime incidents.
"So there’s a change in reportorial requirements that brought about the increase," he said without revealing the crime rate in NCR).
To reduce the crime volume in the country, the President noted that police presence across the archipelago is being intensified, whether in support of communities, tourism, or other interventions to fight and prevent crime.
"Through the Pulis Nyo Po sa Barangay (PSB), 31,596 of our policemen have been deployed to supervise almost 40,000 barangays nationwide; 1,715 policemen are also manning tourism assistance centers and desks all over the country," he said.
Aquino also ordered Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas to step up the government's campaign against loose firearms.
"The issue of loose firearms is an important component of our fight against criminality—not only because we want safe and peaceful elections in 2013, but for greater peace and order in our communities," he said.
Meanwhile, the President has invited the Chinese-Filipino community to share its inputs on how the government could effectively fight criminality happening the in the country.
“We are looking for solutions that are strategic, rational, and effective. In the national discussion that is taking place today, your perspectives are more than welcome,” the President said.
“After all, your movement was founded on the basic premise that law enforcement officials and the citizenry must empower each other; that both the private and public spheres must take active roles in keeping our communities safe and peaceful,” he added.(SDR/Sunnex)