Amalilio stopped from returning to Manila

-A A +A

Friday, January 25, 2013


MANILA (Updated) -- Manuel Amalilio, the alleged brains behind a multi-billion peso investment scam that duped some 15,000 people, was barred from boarding a Cebu Pacific flight back to the Philippines on Friday.

Amalilio was supposed to arrive at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) by 7:45 p.m. Friday but an official of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Malaysian authorities stopped him and his agent escorts from taking the trip.

"We we're not given clear reasons why he was not allowed to return here. We have all the documents to prove he's a Filipino. The (four-man) NBI team was forced to fly back. We’ll have to plan our next move. We still don't know when he will be deported to the Philippines," he told reporters.

Advertisement

Another report, which quoted a staff of Local Government Manuel Roxas II, said Amalilio's arrival is postponed for next week because of pending requirements asked by the Malaysian government.

Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Eduardo Malaya earlier assured that there will be no delay in Amalilio's arrival in Manila.

Amalilio will be considered a high-risk detainee upon his return to the country because of expected deluge of angry investors who want to get after him.

Malacañang assured, however, that authorities will provide tight security for Amalilio, who is facing a string of syndicated estafa cases before a court in Mindanao.

"We consider him as a high-risk prisoner in the sense that a lot of investors lost their money. He (Amalilio) would know exactly who these investors are because based on the probe by the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation), influential people in Zamboanga, not just in Pagadian City, were also affected," said Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, adding the NBI will have to beef up its security on Amalilio.

After arriving in Manila, he will join his co-accused in the multi-million peso syndicated estafa case lodged before the Pagadian City Regional Trial Court branch 20 at the NBI detention facility. The warrant of arrest will also be served on him.

Amalilio and other officials of Aman Futures are facing syndicated estafa cases for defrauding thousands of investors in Visayas and Mindanao for estimated amount of P12 million.

"Amalilio's co-accused had already filed a motion not to be transferred to a detention facility in Pagadian, understandably because of security concern. The NBI is just waiting for the court's resolution on the motion. In fact, our prosecutor did not oppose because they seemed to have provided a valid reason," de Lima said. (Virgil Lopez/Jill Beltran/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • Pacman blog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • Philippine Polls
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!