De Lima: Charges may be filed vs suspects in Quezon ‘rubout’-A A +A
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
THE government hinted at filing criminal cases against those who participated in the bloody shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon that ended the lives of 13 people.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima refused to identify who these personalities are pending the conclusion of the report being prepared by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), which is the sole agency tasked by President Benigno Aquino III to shed light on the incident that took place at a checkpoint on January 6.
"The NBI is prepared to file the necessary cases," she told reporters Wednesday, adding the report will not be submitted to Malacañang soon because it still lack the result of the ballistics examination and technical evaluation.
De Lima said the NBI has the liberty to "concentrate" on finishing the report, which has been anticipated by the President. She said the draft report has reached 300 pages.
She said the NBI also uncovered fresh "developments" on the case but declined to elaborate.
De Lima had already concluded that the incident was not a shootout after getting the statements of the two witnesses who reportedly saw how security forces at the checkpoint killed the victims in cold blood.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) also said in its fact-finding report that there was use of excessive force and checkpoint rules were ignored, fuelling speculations of a rubout as claimed by the families of victims who were allegedly members of gun-for-hire group.
Last week, 22 cops involved in the incident including relieved Calabarzon police head Chief Superintendent James Melad were slapped with administrative cases upon the orders of PNP Chief Director General Alan Purisima.
The PNP took note of ignorance of checkpoint rules and lack of marked vehicle and uniformed personnel on the part of the team that assaulted the suspected criminals. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)