DOJ asks SC to transfer Rasuman cases to Manila-A A +A
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
TO ENSURE fair and safe trial, the Department of Justice asked the Supreme Court on Wednesday to transfer the hearing of syndicated estafa cases involving Jachob "Coco" Rasuman.
Rasuman has pending cases before the Cagayan De Oro Regional Trial Court branch 20 and the Misamis Oriental Regional Trial Court branch 23 for duping investors last year.
In an interview, Prosecutor General Claro Arellano said it would be expensive for the government to transport Rasuman from Manila to Cagayan de Oro City for the hearings while other parties to the cases are currently in the nation's capital to avoid security risks.
Among others, Rasuman's co-accused are his father former Public Works and Highways Undersecretary Bashir Dimaampo Rasuman, Emma Rasuman, Bashir Rasuman Jr., Princess Aliah Tomawis Rasuman, and Jerome Rasuman.
Rasuman is currently detained at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) headquarters in Manila, which is near the SC and the DOJ.
"The climate in those areas are not also conducive for holding trials because prosecutors and witnesses are vulnerable to threats," said Arellano.
He added that local government officials who are allegedly involved in the case may also influence the trial court's decision because of their vast resources.
Arellano said they also asked the High Court to temporarily stop the trials pending the resolution of the DOJ's two-page motion.
The Rasumans allegedly defrauded investors by posing as a group involved in oil exploration, petroleum sale, stock market investment and car trading. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)