Government to go after ‘professional squatters’

-A A +A

Sunday, June 23, 2013


MALACANANG vowed to run after alleged professional squatters through the Department of Justice.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said Sunday that President Benigno Aquino III has received several reports about the professional squatters, including the so-called "tulak" and "tulay boys" who were purposely clogging the drainage systems to earn money from stranded commuters.

"The Department of Justice is moving on...I understand that Secretary (Leila) de Lima had already talked regarding this and she said that she will look into the alleged professionals who make a living out of grabbing land or at least squatting on property either government or private," she said in a radio interview.

Valte also said the government continues with its efforts to relocate informal settlers especially those living in danger areas such as creeks.

The Department of Public Works and Highways and the Metro Manila Development Authority are targeting to complete the relocation of some 20,000 informal settlers in Metro Manila within the year, while the National Housing Authority, which built 18,000 housing units for the informal settlers last year, promised to double the number of shelters this year.

The National Housing Authority (NHA) currently has 10 multi-level low rise housing projects in various stages of development and construction that will generate some 6,400 housing units for informal settler families (ISFs) living in the danger zones in the capital region.

Vice President Jejomar Binay said the 10 projects worth P3.4 billion include those in Smokey Mountain (Paradise Heights) in Tondo, Manila; Tala 2 and Camarin, both in Caloocan City; Pleasant Hills in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan; Tanza, Gulayan and Tanglaw, all in Navotas; MMDA Depot in Manggahan, Pasig City; National Government Center Housing Project in Quezon City; and Disiplina Village 2 in Valenzuela City.

Around 55 percent of the total ISFs identified by NHA are located in Quezon City and Manila.

Informal settlers, particularly those living along the waterways, are being blamed for the massive flooding in the metropolis whenever there is a downpour. (SDR/Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Technology
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Festivals
  • Pnoy
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pacman blog
  • Obituary
  • SunStar Celebrity