Gov’t prepares assistance for Filipinos from Egypt-A A +A
Saturday, August 17, 2013
MALACANANG said Saturday that the government has prepared sets of assistance to the Filipino workers in Egypt who would avail of the voluntary repatriation amid the worsening situation there.
In an interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that these packages of assistance, including loan availment, will be extended by the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) to the displaced overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
"In case some of them decide to come home, the Dole has ready assistance for them. There are small loan facilities that they can avail; likewise, there is assistance that is given," she said.
She said the government could also help the OFWs to work in other countries or to start up a small business in the country.
Valte said that it was unfortunate that one Filipino was injured after she was hit by a stray bullet while inside a house in Egypt.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) raised this week to crisis alert level 3 the situation in Egypt. The current alert level calls for voluntary repatriation of some 6,000 Filipinos in the strife-torn country.
But so far, Valte, who got a report from the Overseas Welfare Workers Administration, said that the government has not yet received any requests for voluntary repatriation.
Civil unrest in Egypt has been escalating following the ouster of President Mohammed Morsi as authorities also declared a month-long state of emergency. (SDR/Sunnex)