Tagle: Abolishing pork won't complete the trick-A A +A
Sunday, September 8, 2013
Even as the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) joined calls for the abolition of the pork barrel, Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle believes that more should be done to solve the problem already ingrained in Filipino culture.
According to Tagle, abolition of the Priority Development Assistance Funds (PDAF) will not mean that there shall be no more corrupt practices in the country.
“Kung ang corruption, pagnanakaw at paglilinlang ay nakikita mula sa simpleng tahanan hanggang doon sa kataas-taasan, the problem must be cultural… you cannot solve a cultural problem simply by a political solution,” said Tagle aired over Church-run Radio Veritas.
The best way, he said, in solving a cultural problem is by going back to the basic unit of a society.
“How can we provide a cultural response? Dapat maging ehemplo ng simpleng pamumuhay sa kanilang anak ang mga magulang,” said Tagle.
Earlier, Tagle had called on the faithful to see the pork barrel scam as a call to learn the wrongness of lavishness, especially at the expense of others, and the need to live simply and properly.
In the pork barrel scam, lawmakers are accused of funneling their Priority Development Assistance Funds (PDAF) to fake non-government organizations of businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles to finance ghost projects.
This has resulted to the massive calls for the abolition of the pork barrel system as highlighted by the Million People March held at the Luneta Park in Manila.
The CBCP, last week, joined the snowballing calls saying it is already immoral to continue the said practice knowing that it is a “fertile ground for graft and corruption”. (HDT/Sunnex)