DOH: We are ready for MERS-COV-A A +A
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
ON THE heels of the death of a Filipina in the Kingdom Saudi Arabia (KSA) from the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-COV), the Department of Health (DOH) stressed Wednesday that the government is ready in case the deadly disease comes to the country.
According to DOH – Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases Program Manager Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy, the public should be appeased that the health department is prepared to handle any MERS-COV cases.
"Matagal naman na tayong nakahanda at patuloy na naghahanda in case magkaroon ng MERS-COV sa bansa," said Lee Suy.
He said this include the predetermination of hospitals that will handle MERS-COV cases such as San Lazaro Hospital, Research Institute for Tropical Medicine, and the Lung Center of the Philippines.
Lee Suy also called on the public to seek immediate medical attention if they have any symptoms of the MERS-COV, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath and even diarrhea, in order to avoid the spread of the disease.
On Tuesday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed the death of a Filipina nurse in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia from MERS-COV.
But for the moment, Lee Suy said the country remains free from the so-called Saudi version of the severe acute respiratory syndrome.
"Wala pa naman tayong MERS-COV cases sa atin e. Hindi pa tayo nakakakuha ng report na meron tayo so far," said Lee Suy.
He said they are certain since the health department had long escalated its surveillance system in monitoring possible MERS-COV cases.
"Nung una pa man, this has already triggered the enhancement of our surveillance system laban sa MERS-COV," said Lee Suy. (HDT/Sunnex)