Young girl dies from suspected meningococcemia in Marikina hospital-A A +A
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
THE emergency room of a government hospital in Marikina City was closed after a one-year-old girl died from suspected meningococcemia there late Monday.
Radio reports said the death caused the closure of the Amang Rodriguez Memorial Medical Center's emergency room since11 p.m. Monday.
Initial information showed the one-year-old girl from Barangay Mambugan in Antipolo City was brought to the hospital at 6:50 p.m. Monday.
She died at about 11:45 p.m., and hospital staff conducted a fumigation of the emergency room.
Meningococcemia can spread via direct contact with discharges from the nose and throat, which contains the bacteria, the Department of Health said.
It added the bacteria that cause meningococcemia can spread via "close, direct physical contact and through coughing, and sneezing, kissing."
"In general, people should not share anything that has been in their mouth. Exposure to cigarette smoke increases the risk of spread of meningococci, as well as other bacteria," it said. (JK/Sunnex)