LWUA chief linked to Napoles resigns-A A +A
Sunday, December 8, 2013
MANILA -- Acting Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) chairman Rene Villa, who admitted of becoming a lawyer of Janet Lim-Napoles, alleged mastermind in the P10-billion pork barrel scam, has resigned, Malacanang said Saturday.
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said that President Benigno Aquino III has accepted Villa's resignation.
“Personal na desisyon niya ito at tinanggap ito ng ating pangulo na may kalakip na pasasalamat sa kanyang paglilingkod," he said in an interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan.
Villa's resignation was effective on November 30.
Aquino was still waiting for the recommendation of Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson as to Villa's possible replacement since LWUA is under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), he said.
“Ang LWUA pinangasiwaan ni Secretary Rogelio Singson. Malamang hihintayin ang recommendation ni Secretary Singson hinggil dito,” he said.
Prior to his appointment to LWUA, Villa acted as one of the legal counsels of Napoles in some of her businesses.
Villa previously refused to heed calls for him to resign, especially after Napoles was charged with plunder in relation to the multi-billion pork barrel scam.
Coloma also said the President accepted the resignation of Grace Karen Singson as chief privatization officer of the Privatization and Management Office.
Aquino appointed Elizabeth Espino as executive director of the National Parks Development Committee, he said. (SDR/Sunnex)