DOLE exec linked to ‘sex-for-fly’ won’t contest misconduct case-A A +A
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
ONE of the labor officials allegedly involved in the controversial sex-for-fly scheme did not opt to dispute the findings of “simple misconduct” and instead sought for a lower penalty from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
In an interview, DOLE Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz disclosed that acting Jordan Labor Attaché Mario Antonio filed a motion for partial reconsideration on his case seeking for a lowering of his four-month suspension.
“He did not question the filing of the case. He just wants the penalty lowered to one month taking into account that the acts were without malice,” said Baldoz.
Last week, Baldoz slapped a four-month suspension to Antonio after the DOLE fact-finding team found him liable of “simple misconduct”.
“Mayroon use of vulgar language and then watching of pornographic materials using the office laptop,” Baldoz had noted in handing out the verdict.
The labor chief, however, said that the implementation of the suspension will have to be temporarily deferred once Antonio appeals the decision.
Baldoz said that she will decide on the appeal of Antonio by early next year.
“Sa next year ko na dedesiyunan iyan,” said Baldoz.
Last July, Antonio was among the labor officials investigated by DOLE for allegedly engaging some distressed overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in the Middle East in sexual activities in exchange for their repatriation. (HDT/Sunnex)