Boy, 12 in coma after firecracker blast

-A A +A

Saturday, January 4, 2014


THE Department of Health (DOH) disclosed late Friday that a 12-year-old boy from Quezon City is now fighting for his life at the Manila Central University (MCU) Hospital in Caloocan City after suffering major head injuries sustained from firecracker blast.

DOH spokesman Dr. Eric Tayag said that the boy is now in comatose after he and his friend suffered blast injuries when the mixed firecracker powder they collected suddenly exploded.

"Let us pray as 12-year-old boy from Quezon City fights for his life after head injuries sustained from a blast after picking up fireworks. He is now in coma," said Tayag.

Advertisement

Earlier in the day, the DOH reported that an 11-year-old boy from Balong Bato, Quezon City lost both of his hands after setting off the unexploded firecrackers that he collected last January 1.

It was later discovered that the two boys were together when the unexploded firecrackers went off.

The DOH also noted that the 11-year-old boy also lost his left eye in the accident.

The two cases are now deemed as the worst injuries stemming from the New Year revelry based on the Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) 2013 reports of the DOH.

And the number of injured revelers continues to rise beyond the 931 revelry-related injuries reported from the December 21, 2012 to January 5, 2013.

Based on the APIR 2013 Report No. 14, there are now a total of 962 revelry-related injuries recorded as of January 4, 6am.

"The figure is 33 cases (4 percent) higher than the injuries recorded during the same period last year, which was 929," said the DOH report.

Among the injuries, 943 were related to blasts from fireworks and firecrackers, led by Piccolo with 359 (38 percent).

Unknown firecrackers injured a total of 118; followed by kwitis with 95; 5-star with 43; and plapla with 42.

A total of 797 (85 percent) revelers got injured but did not require amputation while another 24 (3 percent) had blast injuries needing amputation.

Twenty-five percent or 237 of those injured also involved children that are less than 10 years old.

On the other hand, 340 (36 percent) of the injuries involved passive users, or those who were not directly using firecrackers.

Stray bullet injuries and firecracker ingestion remained at 17 and two, respectively, said the APIR report as no new cases were reported.

No deaths have been reported yet by any of the 50 DOH sentinel hospitals.

Majority (545 cases or 57 percent) of the injuries took place at the National Capital Region (NCR) followed by Calabarzon with 75 injuries; and Western Visayas with 73 cases.

In Metro Manila, the City of Manila cornered most of the injuries with 213 (39 percent) followed by the 95 from Quezon City and the 44 from Mandaluyong City. (HDT/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Obituary
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • ePaper
  • Technology
  • Sinulog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • goodearth
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pnoy