LTFRB cancels Don Mariano Transit permit-A A +A
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
(Updated) THE Land Transportation Franchise and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) canceled the franchises of Don Mariano Transit on Tuesday, two days ahead of schedule.
The LTFRB released its decision on the case of Don Mariano Transit Tuesday morning as one of its buses was involved in a fatal incident in Taguig City which claimed 18 lives in an instant last year.
LTFRB chairperson Winston Ginez said the permit to operate of the 78 bus units of the Don Mariano Transit were “canceled, revoked and transferred back to the state."
According to the board, the bus firm owning Don Mariano buses violated several orders written in the certificate of public convenience.
“Nasangkot na sa tatlong iba pang aksidente ang Don Mariano buses ayon sa aming imbestigasyon at patuloy na wala silang aksyon na ginagawa kaya napagdesisyunan ng board na bawiin na ang prangkisa ng lahat ng bus nila,” he said.
However, Attorney Jason Cantil, representative of Don Mariano Transit said they will appeal to LTFRB or to the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) and will submit a motion for reconsideration.
Cantil said they provided financial assistance worth P11 million to the victims of the recent Skyway incident and will be needing the business to further help the victims and its families.
Cantil added that the board’s decision would affect the livelihood of its drivers, conductors and other employees.
Ginez added that all the 78 license plates of the bus were surrendered to the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in December should be destroyed.
On December 16, 2013, a speeding Don Mariano bus toppled over Skyway in Bicutan, Taguig City, and fell over a closed van underneath the highway, killing 18. (Sunnex)