Palace explains why it asked SC to move argument on DAP-A A +A
Friday, January 17, 2014
MALACANANG on Friday said that it had to ask the Supreme Court (SC) to reschedule the oral argument on the legality of the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) to give the executive more time to prepare.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that the Palace failed to fully focus on preparing for the argument late last year because it prioritized other pressing problems that time.
"If you remember, at least, the information, nagkaroon ng konting delay dahil meron tayong mga mas mga problemang na-prioritize noong end of the year...they needed a longer amount of time to be confident in their preparations," she said.
Malacanang, through the Office of the Solicitor General, asked the high court to move the second oral argument on the constitutionality of DAP from January 28 to March 25.
Some quarters have been questioning the legality of DAP, which the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said was a mechanism put up in October 2011 to increase spending to spur economic activities.
But criticisms on DAP came about when the DBM released data that several senators and congressmen were allotted multi-million funds to finance projects and programs on top of their Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel in 2012. The funds released through DAP also allegedly became bribes to senators who voted for the impeachment of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona in May 2012, which the Palace denied. (SDR/Sunnex)