Angara confident dad can answer link to Nabcor scam-A A +A
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
SENATOR Juan Edgardo Angara on Tuesday said his father, former Senator Edgardo Angara, will answer reports linking him to the alleged misuse of Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) as soon as he returns from a trip abroad.
"He's abroad right now. I think they were trying to reach him. (He'll be back in) two weeks or something like that. I'm not sure. He's not hiding," the senator said in a television interview.
The former senator allocated P20 million of his PDAF to Kagandahan ng Kapaligiran Foundation back in 2008 to National Agribusiness Corporation (Nabcor), an agency under the Department of Agriculture.
The former senator's name reportedly appeared on the list submitted by former Nabcor officials Vic Cacal and Rhodora Mendoza to the Office of the Ombudsman.
According to the two, a total of P1.7 billion in PDAF were coursed through questionable non-government organizations (NGOs) from 2007 to 2009.
The Kagandahan ng Kapaligiran Foundation, however, has not been linked to alleged pork scam queen Janet Lim-Napoles.
"I'm concerned but I'm pretty confident that he can answer them, these charges against him," Senator Angara said.
Senators Jinggoy Estrada, Juan Ponce Enrile, and Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr., and some 79 former and incumbent congressmen were also named in the list provided by Cacal and Mendoza.
The three senators have previously been accused of plunder before the Ombudsman.
Meanwhile, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago filed Senate Resolution 575 directing the Blue Ribbon committee to summon Cacal and Mendoza to the ongoing PDAF scam hearings.
"(They should) testify and submit documents on the criminal involvement of the lawmakers implicated in the scam; they can also testify on how the loopholes in the disbursement of government funds are exploited in order for public officials to plunder public funds," the senator said. (Sunnex)