AFP denies taking P1.5 million from CPP-NPA leaders-A A +A
Thursday, April 10, 2014
THE Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) denied pocketing the P1.5 million cash supposedly recovered from Communist Party of the Philippines New People's Army (CPP-NPA) leaders Benito and Wilma Tiamzon during their arrest in Aloguinsan, Cebu last month.
In a statement, Major General John Bonafos, commander of AFP Central Command said the Tiamzons claim is "completely false" and that they returned all recovered items properly, including the two vehicles, personal belongings, laptops, cellphones, the cats and the dogs and cash.
"As a matter of fact, the recovered money is only P23,545.35, and other items were accounted properly, with witnesses," he said.
Bonafos said the Toyota Innova and P13,130.05 cash were returned to Nona Castillo while the Hyundai Starex and P10,415.30 cash were turned over to Rex Villaflor.
Castillo and Villaflor, two of the five others who were arrested with the Tiamzons in Cebu on March 22, have signed documents as a proof that they received the other recovered items, the Central Command chief said.
Through a letter sent to the militant group Bayan, the Tiamzons claimed the military have confiscated P1.5 million in cash from them during their arrest.
On April 9, Bayan urged the military to return the money supposedly intended for the victims of Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).
Bonafos said the Tiamzons are just blaming them for the loss of the money, which he thinks the couple spent on their lavish lifestyles.
The military claimed the Tiamzons live in an airconditioned mansion with high-technology gadgets and were spending P20,000 for house rentals and P15,000 each month for their pet's food "while their comrades are up in the mountains with nothing to eat at times.
Bonafos said the militant's tactics is aimed to undermine the efforts of the government, which was recognized by President Benigno Aquino III. (Sunnex)