DOH eyes lower dengue cases for 2014

-A A +A

Monday, April 14, 2014


AN OFFICIAL of the Department of Health (DOH) is expecting an improvement in the number of dengue cases reported in the country from last year based on the first quarter data culled by the National Epidemiology Center (NEC).

According to DOH-NEC head Dr. Eric Tayag, they do not see the country still matching the number of dengue cases last year.

“We still do not know which strain will be predominant this year. But we don’t expect to see many cases this year,” said Tayag in an interview.

DOH-NEC records show 15,374 dengue cases nationwide from January 1 to March 29, which is 51 percent lower compared to the same period in 2013.

“We have around 174 cases every day from January to March and this is a remarkable reduction compared to last year,” said Tayag.

The DOH tallied 204,906 dengue cases in 2013, which is the biggest since the 1998 outbreak that coincided with the long drought season caused by the El Niño phenomenon. (HDT/Sunnex)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog