DOH confident of China action vs bubonic plague-A A +A
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
THE Department of Health (DOH) expressed confidence over the steps taken by the Chinese government in preventing the spread abroad of the bubonic plague that hit one of its cities last week.
DOH spokesperson Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy said the decision of China to seal off the affected city is already enough to ensure that the disease will not spread further, including the possibility of reaching the Philippines.
"The areas affected have already been quarantined. And that is the best thing to do to avoid the spread of the disease," said Lee Suy.
He added that any one breaking away from the said quarantine in China is close to impossible from happening.
"The progression of the bubonic plague is really fast so it is impossible that anyone can break away from the quarantine," Lee Suy said.
Since last week, all the 30,000 residents of Yumen City in China have not been allowed to leave after the death of a man from bubonic plague, which also resulted to the quarantine of over 150 people.
Because of this, the health official said there is no reason to be alarmed that the bubonic plague might come to the country anytime soon.
"There is clearly no reason to be alarmed over this plague in China," said Lee Suy.
The bubonic plague is a bacterial infection that is caused by a bite of an infected flea and can be transmitted by direct contact with infected tissue or exposure to the cough of another human.
It usually manifests through swollen lymph nodes normally seen in the groin area and could result to death to affected humans if not given proper treatment. (HDT/Sunnex)