THE National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) confirmed Thursday, April 21, that it arrested Wednesday night one of the hackers who defaced the website of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) last month.
The suspect's arrest came after three weeks of surveillance, said NBI Director Virgilio Mendez at a press conference.
Mendez said the male suspect is a 23-year-old fresh graduate of Information Technology course.
He was arrested at his residence in Sampaloc, Manila.
Comelec Chairman Juan Andres Bautista said the suspect admitted that he was responsible for the defacing of the poll body's website.
Bautista reiterated that the hacking of the Comelec website does not affect security of the automated polls in May but it affected other features of the website, including the precinct finder.
Mendez said the NBI Cybercrime Division is investigating the hacker's affiliation.
"We will be applying for a series of search warrants for the remaining suspects," the NBI official said.
Authorities are checking if the suspect is also involved in the hacking of other government websites.
Anonymous Philippines, a local group of internet hackers, had claimed responsibility for the defacing of the Comelec website last March 28. (Sunnex)