2 convicted OFWs in Oman get royal pardon | SunStar

2 convicted OFWs in Oman get royal pardon

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

2 convicted OFWs in Oman get royal pardon

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

HIS Majesty Sultan Qaboos of the Sultanate of Oman has granted royal pardon to two overseas Filipino workers (OFW) who were jailed for criminal offenses, the Philippine Embassy in Muscat said Tuesday.

Citing reports from the embassy, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that the royal pardon was granted on the occasion of the Isra Wal Miraj that was commemorated on May 5.

Philippine Ambassador to the Sultanate of Oman Narcisco Castañeda welcomed the royal pardon given to the two convicted OFWs.

He also expressed his gratitude to the Sultanate for its "strong cooperation with the Philippine government on OFW concerns."

"He hailed the pardon as proof of the continued and untiring efforts" of the embassy and the Foreign Affairs department in addressing the issues of distressed OFWs in Oman.

"The embassy is coordinating with Omani authorities for the early repatriation of the pardoned OFWs," the Foreign Affairs department said in a statement. (CVB/Sunnex)


View Comments