Duterte signs state of national emergency proclamation | SunStar

Duterte signs state of national emergency proclamation

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte signs state of national emergency proclamation

Monday, September 05, 2016

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte signed Monday the proclamation of a state of national emergency before he left for a three-day state visit to Laos.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said the President was prompted to sign the proclamation, following the senseless acts done in the country, including the recent bombing at a night market in Davao City.

"Some instances, such as the escape of inmates, the beheading [of hostages by the Abu Sayaff bandits], and eventually, the incident in Davao, are the bases of [the proclamation of state of lawless violence]," Medialdea said.

Medialdea stressed that the proclamation was not close to declaring Martial Law, saying it was merely focused on fighting terrorism.

He added that there was no curfew being imposed in the proclamation.

Medialdea said there is no timeline as for the implementation of the state of national emergency proclamation.

Last Saturday, the President declared a state of lawless violence in the entire country, following the deadly explosion that killed at least 14 individuals and injured over 70 others.

Malacañang is yet to release the proclamation signed by the President.

Duterte will join other leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in a summit to be held in Vientiane, Laos on September 6-8. (Sunnex)


View Comments