Palace: Safeguards up vs kidnapping threats in Southern Cebu | Sun.Star

Palace: Safeguards up vs kidnapping threats in Southern Cebu

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Palace: Safeguards up vs kidnapping threats in Southern Cebu

Friday, November 04, 2016

Safe and Secure. Sumilon Island, a popular spot for snorkeling and swimming in the south, has been included in the US Embassy’s list of places in southern Cebu not to be visited by Americans at this time. The management of Bluewater Sumilon Island Resort assures that the place is safe and secure and has tapped law enforcement agencies for extra precaution. (Sun.Star Photo/Alex Badayos)

MALACAÑANG on Friday said authorities are now validating the reported kidnapping in Southern Cebu.

"There was indeed a police report regarding a plan to stage a kidnapping in Southern Cebu. The report is in the process of being validated," Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement.

Abella issued the statement following the United States (US) Embassy's travel warning to Southern Cebu, particularly around Dalaguete and Santander, including Sumilon Island, amid kidnapping threats by terror groups.

The US Embassy said the terrorist groups are allegedly planning to conduct kidnapping in those areas in Cebu.

Abella assured that the Philippine National Police (PNP) has already laid security measures to prevent instances of kidnapping.

"The PNP commanders at various levels have taken the necessary steps to harden or protect possible targets," the presidential spokesperson said.

"Moreover other measures are being undertaken in public venues to safeguard crowds from harm," he added. (Sunnex)

View Comments