Palace sees possible 'reboot' of PH-US relationship | SunStar

Palace sees possible 'reboot' of PH-US relationship

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Palace sees possible 'reboot' of PH-US relationship

Sunday, December 04, 2016

THE relationship between the Philippines and the United States (US) could be "rebooted" following the phone conversation between President Rodrigo Duterte and US President-elect Donald Trump, Malacañang said Sunday.

"The conversation between President Duterte and President-elect Donald Trump went very well and it showed that there is a big possibility that we will have a reboot of relationship with the United States," Presidential Communications Office Secretary Martin Andanar told dzRB Radyo ng Bayan.

Duterte called up Trump last Friday night to congratulate the latter for his victory in the recent US election.

"And from what the President said, President Duterte told us [cabinet members] na mukhang magkakasundo sila ni President-elect Donald Trump, and again President Donald Trump wished the President well in his campaign against illegal drugs," Andanar said.

Duterte has said that Trump respects the Philippine sovereignty.

Asked if "rebooting" the Philippine relationship includes the military aspect, Andanar said, "I will leave everything to the President, to the Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs to decide which aspects that our country can reboot with the United States."

Duterte had declared separation from the US after getting criticisms on the alleged extrajudicial killings of drug suspects in the country.

He had wanted to stop the joint military exercises between the Philippines and the US. (SDR/Sunnex)

View Comments