DOH looking to donate contraceptive implant stocks | SunStar

DOH looking to donate contraceptive implant stocks

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

DOH looking to donate contraceptive implant stocks

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

STILL restrained by the temporary restraining order (TRO) of the Supreme Court (SC), the Department of Health (DOH) is now looking to just donate their stocks of hormonal contraceptive implants, Implanon and Implanon NXT, to other countries.

In an interview, Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial said they are already looking at such a possibility as their stocks are already set to expire in 2018.

“What we are trying to negotiate right now is for the Philippines to donate these commodities to other countries that can use it,” said Ubial.

Still, the Health chief said they are hopeful that the SC will already lift the TRO and allow the unrestrained implementation of the RH law.

“We are still hoping that the TRO will be lifted. We are also trying with the Office of the President, if there can be some appeal to the SC to actually fast track the review and, therefore, lift the TRO,” said Ubial.

It was back in June 2015 when the Department of Health (DOH) and the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) were stopped from “procuring, selling, distributing, dispensing, or administering, advertising, and promoting the hormonal contraceptive implants”.

Another SC TRO also prevents the two health agencies from “granting any and all pending applications for registration and/or recertification for reproductive products and supplies including contraceptive drugs and devices”. (HDT/SunStar Philippines)


View Comments