Duterte cancels creation of Mamasapano fact-finding body | SunStar

Duterte cancels creation of Mamasapano fact-finding body

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte cancels creation of Mamasapano fact-finding body

Monday, February 06, 2017

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte announced Monday, February 6, that he would no longer create a seven-man commission that would investigate the botched Mamasapano operation launched last January 25, 2015.

Duterte made the statement at the launch of Bureau of Internal Revenue's campaign held at the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay City.

The President said the creation of the Mamasapano fact-finding body would no longer push through since the Office of the Ombudsman is currently looking into the bungled operation that claimed the lives of 44 Special Action Force (SAF) commandos.

The Chief Executive said he does not want to create "multiple incongruity."

"I am not going ahead with the creation of the commission because apparently, the Ombudsman has said that it's still pending before them," the President said.

"So I do not want to have a multiple incongruity, especially if one finding fights to the other," he added.

The Office of the Ombudsman has filed charges against former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Alan Purisima and former PNP-SAF head Getulio Napeñas Jr.

However, former President Benigno Aquino III, who at the time was the country's leader when the incident happened, is not yet off the hook over the Mamasapano carnage.

Duterte earlier slammed Aquino for failing to complete the findings of the Mamasapano probe during his term, noting that the past administration "was biased on certain allies subjected to investigation."

He had also claimed that the Mamasapano operation was an "American adventure with cooperation of some, and apparently, with [Aquino's] blessing."

Prior to the cancellation of creation of independent commission, Duterte revealed that Aquino's sister, actress Kris Aquino, had texted him, appealing not to indict her brother.

Duterte, however, clarified that the supposed re-opening of Mamasapano probe was not intended to pin down Aquino.

"Kris texted, 'Don't arrest Noynoy (Aquino).' I said, "No, Kris, I am not out to find fault. I just want to know the truth,'" he said.

"I am not asking who was at fault," Duterte added. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments