Gov't assures informal settlers: 'No demolitions sans relocation' | SunStar

Gov't assures informal settlers: 'No demolitions sans relocation'

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Gov't assures informal settlers: 'No demolitions sans relocation'

Thursday, April 20, 2017

THE Duterte administration guaranteed that there will no demolition of houses of informal settlers, unless there have been relocation sites for them.

Speaking to reporters, Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor (PCUP) chair Terry Ridon reiterated the policy of President Rodrigo Duterte of “no demolitions without relocation.”

Ridon said the government’s perspective since Duterte assumed office is that “never to blame the poor for their troubles.”

"Under the leadership of the President, he has made it clear that there will be no demolitions without relocation,” Ridon said.

“The President has been very clear about that – that their only sin has been to be poor. So and that is how the agencies will also proceed in confronting with this problem also.”

Ridon’s statement came amid the takeover of housing units in Bulacan by urban group Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap (Kadamay) in March.

Ridon said Duterte’s economic and development plan, which was unveiled on Tuesday, is focused on helping the poor by spending for infrastructure projects.

“I think, we have to remember that PCUP is the final clearance for all the demolitions particularly for infra projects,” he said.

“So even if we speak about big-ticket infrastructure projects, I think part of the spending will most definitely be made towards relocation of many of the affected informal settler families,” Ridon added. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments