Duterte, Trump to discuss North Korea in call | SunStar

Duterte, Trump to discuss North Korea in call

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte, Trump to discuss North Korea in call

Saturday, April 29, 2017

MANILA. President Rodrigo Duterte gestures while addressing the media following the conclusion of the 30th ASEAN Leaders' Summit in Manila, Philippines, Saturday, April 29, 2017. Duterte suggested Saturday to his American counterpart to back out from an intensifying standoff with North Korea not in surrender but to avoid risking a nuclear "holocaust" that could affect Asia immensely. (AP Photo)

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte said he was expecting United States President Donald Trump to call him Saturday night to discuss about the failed missile test of North Korea.

Duterte, in a news conference after hosting the summit of Southeast Asian leaders in Manila, suggested to his American counterpart to back out from an intensifying standoff with North Korea not in surrender but to avoid risking a nuclear "holocaust" that could affect Asia immensely.

Earlier in the day, Trump took to Twitter to condemn the "unsuccessful" missile test of Pyongyang amid intensifying standoff with the US.

South Korea's news agency Yonhap said the missile appeared to have blown up a few seconds into flight.

Duterte suggested to Trump to "be prudent and patient" to avoid war.

He said that as the global power and more responsible nation, the US should be prudent and not play into the provocations of North Korea's leader.

"It behooves upon America who wield the biggest stick just to really be prudent and patient [on North Korea's failed attempt to fire missile]," the President said. "I'm sure President Trump is cautioning his military to just hang on there and not to start [the war]."

Alarm over North Korea's nuclear ambitions and intensifying standoff with the Trump administration was high on the agenda of this year's Asean summit. (With AP/SunStar Philippines)


View Comments