Marcos completes payment of poll protest fee | SunStar

Marcos completes payment of poll protest fee

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Marcos completes payment of poll protest fee

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

MANILA. Former senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. joins his supporters during a vigil in front of the Supreme Court in Manila on Monday, July 10. (SunStar Philippines/Al Padilla)

FORMER senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has completed the payment of P66.02 million fee required of him by the Supreme Court (SC) for his election protest against Vice President Maria Leonor "Leni" Robredo.

George Garcia, Marcos' legal counsel, said his client has already deposited his balance of P30,000,200 to the SC, sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), on Monday, a day before the preliminary conference on his election protest.

The PET required Marcos to pay P66.22 million for the retrieval of ballot boxes and other election paraphernalia in 39,500 precincts nationwide.

He paid the first tranche last April, through "donations" from his supporters and friends, he said.

Garcia said Marcos was able to pay the second tranche through the help of his friends and the money coming from his condominium unit that he sold.

Meanwhile, Robredo is required by the tribunal to pay P15 million for the retrieval of the ballot boxes in the 31,278 contested precincts in Robredo's counter-protest.

She has paid the first tranche worth P8 million last May 2.

Robredo has yet to pay another P7.4 million for the completion of the payment for her protest fee. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments