Cops ready to face probe on death of rape-slay suspect in Camp Crame | SunStar

Cops ready to face probe on death of rape-slay suspect in Camp Crame

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Cops ready to face probe on death of rape-slay suspect in Camp Crame

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

THE Philippine National Police - Anti-kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) is ready to face investigation on the death of a suspect in an eight-year-old girl's rape-slay on Tuesday night in Camp Crame, Quezon City.

Hilario Herrera, a suspect in the rape-slay of an elementary pupil in Jaen Nueva Ecija, grabbed the firearm of one of his police escorts and fatally shot himself in the head, said AKG director Glenn Dumlao.

Herrera was pronounced dead at the PNP General Hospital.

Dumlao said the incident happened while Herrera was being escorted by Senior Police Officer 1 Grant Chaluyen and Police Officer 3 Felix Parafina to his detention cell after he underwent inquest proceedings.

He said Parafina and Chaluyen have submitted themselves to a paraffin test to establish if one of them had fired a gun.

Dumlao said they will investigate the possible lapses of the two policemen considering the suspect was cuffed in front instead of back.

He said the PNP-AKG will cooperate in the investigation to be conducted by the PNP Internal Affairs Service.

The body of Herrera's victim, which was found in an irrigation canal, showed signs that she was raped before being killed, police said.

Dumlao said the victim's family suspected that Herrera, who worked for them as a carpenter committed the crime after he suddenly left and returned to his home province of Palawan.

Herrera was arrested in Palawan and admitted to committing the crime.

He confessed to police that he fetch the victim from her school, brought her to a public cemetery, and raped her.

"Natakot po akong makauwi ang bata at maisumbong ako, kaya lahat naisip kong paraan para hindi na makabalik ang bata sa pamilya," said Herrera.

Authorities found the girl's belongings in the cemetery.

The suspect was convicted of qualified theft and was imprisoned 14 years at the Iwahig Penal Colony in Palawan. He released from prison after being granted parole. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments