Palace: Ozamiz raid part of intensified fight vs drugs | SunStar

Palace: Ozamiz raid part of intensified fight vs drugs

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Palace: Ozamiz raid part of intensified fight vs drugs

Sunday, July 30, 2017

MANILA (Updated) -- The bloody raid in Ozamiz City on Sunday that led to the death of city mayor Reynaldo Parojinog and 12 others was part of the government's intensified campaign against illegal drugs, a Palace official said.

"The administration vowed to intensify the drug campaign," said Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella in a statement.

Abella said that the Parojinog political clan was included in President Rodrigo Duterte's so-called narco list.

"The Parojinogs if you would recall are included in PRRDs list of personalities involved in the illegal drug trade," Abella said.

Earlier in the day, police have said that the city mayor, his wife Susan and 11 others, including Misamis Occidental Provincial Board member Octavio Parojinog Jr., were killed in simultaneous drug raids.

The search warrants were issued against the mayor, vice mayor, Reynaldo Parojinog Jr. and the provincial board member.

Reports said that several firearms and suspected shabu were seized from the family's residence.

Authorities will be releasing updates as soon as they become available, Abella added.

Duterte has earlier tagged the Parojinogs in the illegal drug trading in Mindanao. He also said that the Parojinogs have funded the Islamic State-inspired Maute group, which laid siege to Marawi City.

The President's claims were repeatedly denied by the Parojinogs. (With SDR/SunStar Philippines)


View Comments