THE Department of Justice (DOJ) has dismissed the rape and attempted rape complaints filed by model-actress Deniece Cornejo against television host Vhong Navarro.
In a review resolution dated September 6, the DOJ said the evidence presented by Cornejo's camp did not establish probable cause to indict Navarro for rape.
"As complainant evidence stands, the same does not establish probable cause to indict respondent for the crimes he is accused of committing," said OIC Prosecutor General Severino Gaña in the resolution.
Cornejo accused Navarro of raping her on January 17, 2014, and January 22, 2014, the night the "It's Showtime" host was mauled by a group of men led by businessman Cedric Lee, the alleged lover of Cornejo.
The resolution noted that Cornejo has filed three complaint-affidavits in relation to the incident and that in each affidavit she changes the story.
"At least three investigations had been conducted into the accusations of the complainant against respondent—by the DOJ's three-member panel, the Office of the City Prosecutor in Taguig and by the City Prosecutor of Manila…In all three investigations, the credibility of complainant’s story has been passed upon and ruled to be questionable," the DOJ said.
Cornejo, Lee and his five other accomplices are facing serious illegal detention and grave coercion charges in court for the mauling incident that left Navarro injured. (SunStar Philippines)