Ex-former Aquino spokespersons deny owning Silent No More PH page | SunStar

Ex-former Aquino spokespersons deny owning Silent No More PH page

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Ex-former Aquino spokespersons deny owning Silent No More PH page

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

FORMER presidential spokespersons Edwin Lacierda and Abigail Valte have denied on Wednesday that they own the Silent No More PH, the Facebook page that reported the failure of at least seven senators to sign a resolution urging President Rodrigo Duterte to address summary killings in the country.

"I can categorically say that I have nothing to do with the Seven Sens. Abi has nothing to do; we are not the owners," said Lacierda during the Senate's hearing on fake news online.

Lacierda, the former spokesperson of former President Benigno Aquino III, urged Mark Lopez, the blogger who reported that he and Valte, a former deputy spokesperson of Aquino, own the page to show proof.

"We are accused and I'd like Mark Lopez to show proof," he said.

Asked by Senator Grace Poe, the chair of the Senate committee on public information and mass media, if he may be a member of the Silent No More, he said, "I have no idea I have to look again to my Facebook page."

Lacierda admitted that he is a member of the group called TSM or The Silent Majority.

Valte, for her part, said that her face is always there when she writes for newspapers.

She, however, admitted knowing Cocoy Dayao, the supposed owner of the Facebook page.

"I know Cocoy Dayao from 2009 because he volunteered for the campaign of then Senator (Benigno) Aquino," she said.

Blogger Rey Joseph Nieto, the one behind the blog Thinking Pinoy named Dayao, a supposed member of the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO), as the one behind Silent No More PH page.

The page has more than 370,000 followers on Facebook.

It reported last week that seven senators belonging to the majority refused to sign a resolution urging the President to address the teen killings.

The seven senators named in the article are Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III, Majority Leader Vicente Sotto, Richard Gordon, Gringo Honasan, Manny Pacquiao, Cynthia Villar, and Miguel Zubiri.

The said senators cried foul over the report and claim that they really cannot sign the resolution as its copy failed to reach their respective offices. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments