Caloocan cops involved in illegal raid face dismissal | SunStar

Caloocan cops involved in illegal raid face dismissal

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Caloocan cops involved in illegal raid face dismissal

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

THE Philippine National Police (PNP) Internal Affairs Service (IAS) has recommended the dismissal of 15 Caloocan City policemen involved in the conduct of a raid on a residential house without a search warrant.

IAS Inspector General Alfegar Triambulo said they will submit to PNP chief Ronald dela Rosa their recommendation of dismissal against Chief Inspector Timothy Aniway Jr., Senior Inspector Warren Tano Peralta, Police Officers 1 Ariel Furlo, Marvin Poblete, Sherwin Rivera, Jay Gabata, Sampang Sampurna II, Rene Llanto, Louie Serrano, Jaypee Talay, Ronelio Julaton, Jay-ar Sabangan, Jaime Natividad, Michael Angelo Miguel and Joey Leaban.

"I-forward ko kay chief PNP ang IAS recommendation baka Miyerkoles or Huwebes (I will forward our recommendation to the PNP chief either Wednesday or Thursday, November 22 or 23),” he said.

Aniway, who was charged administratively with grave neglect of duty, was the commander of the Caloocan City Police Community Precinct (PCP) 4.

The 14 other policemen, who were all members of the PCP 4, were slapped with three counts of grave misconduct and conduct unbecoming of a police officer.

On September 7, Peralta along with 13 police officers and two civilians - a 15-year-old boy and a person with disability - swooped down on the home of Gina Erobas in Barrio Sta. Rita, Barangay 188, Tala Caloocan City without any permission.

The group allegedly took some of Erobas’ belongings, including two Swatch wristwatches worth P6,000, a Citizen wristwatch valued at P3,000, a cellular phone worth P12,000 and a wallet with P6,000 cash.

The whole incident was captured on a closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera.

In defense, the policemen claimed Erobas was the subject of an operation. Barangay officials, however, told the IAS investigators that the house owner was not involved in any illegal activities.

The police also failed to submit any search warrant which may support their claim that it was a legitimate operation.

Aside from the administrative charges, the 15 policemen are also facing charges of robbery, violation of the law against child abuse, trespass to dwelling and violation of domicile.

After the discovery of the incident, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Oscar Albayalde ordered the relief of the entire Caloocan City Police.

The raid was the latest controversial incident involving Caloocan police, whose members were also accused of the killing of 17-year-old Kian delos Santos and 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz. Both teens were on their knees and pleading for their lives when they were separately shot by Caloocan police.

Triambulo said Aniway was included in the recommendation for his failure to take disciplinary action against his subordinates and for failing to take necessary measure to prevent the incident from happening again. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments