Duterte formally terminates talks with Reds | SunStar

Duterte formally terminates talks with Reds

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte formally terminates talks with Reds

Thursday, November 23, 2017

(SunStar file photo)

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte, through Proclamation 360, has formally terminated the government's peace negotiations with the communist insurgents.

This was announced by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque in a statement sent to Palace reporters on Thursday night.

Roque said the President signed the proclamation earlier Thursday.

"This is to announce that the President signed this afternoon, November 23, Proclamation 360 declaring the termination of peace negotiations with the National Democratic Front (NDF)-Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)– The New People’s Army (NPA)," Roque said.

Malacañang is yet to release the official document inked by Duterte.

The signing of Proclamation 360 comes after Presidential Adviser on Peace Process Jesus Dureza announced Wednesday that the state peace negotiators would no longer push through with the peace talks with the communist leaders.

Roque said the President had exhausted all means to forge a peace pact with the communist rebels but they failed to demonstrate sincerity in pursuing "genuine and meaningful peaceful negotiations."

He added that the government had given its "best efforts" to hasten the signing and implementation of the final peace agreement but the communist party "has engaged in acts of violence and hostilities. "

He said the President' latest directive to Dureza and other members of the government peace panel was to end their communication with the communists. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments