PNP: No official announcement yet on next chief | SunStar

PNP: No official announcement yet on next chief

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

PNP: No official announcement yet on next chief

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) spokesperson Dionardo Carlos said Wednesday they have yet to receive an official announcement on the supposed appointment of Police Deputy Director General Ramon Apolinario as the successor of PNP chief Ronald dela Rosa, who is set to retire in January.

"Wala naman pong official pang announcement (There is no official announcement yet)," said Carlos.

"We have the President and the presidential spokesperson to give that information," he added.

However, Carlos said they were expecting Apolinario to be appointed as next PNP chief, noting that he was initially among the choices of President Rodrigo Duterte when he took office in July 2016.

PNP Center for Strategic Management legal officer Superintendent Ercy Nanette Tomas reportedly announced on Tuesday, the second day of the 3rd PNP National Advisory Council Summit in Cebu City, that Apolinario will replace Dela Rosa who will turn 56, the PNP mandatory retirement age on January 21.

Other police officials who also served as speakers of the event also addressed Apolinario as the “next PNP chief” several times.

Apolinario, who will reach his retirement age in August 2018, has yet to comment on the matter.

Dela Rosa, Apolinario and Rene Asperas, chief of the Directorate for Personnel, were among the contenders for the position when Duterte assumed the presidency in July 2016. Dela Rosa was chosen because he is the most senior official. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments