Duterte extends military chief's term | SunStar

Duterte extends military chief's term

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte extends military chief's term

Thursday, December 07, 2017

General Rey Leonardo Guerrero (Eastmincom photo)

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has extended the service of General Rey Leonardo Guerrero as chief-of-staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) until April 24, 2018, Malacañang said on Thursday, December 7.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said a document confirming the extension of Guerrero's term was signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, by authority of the President, on Wednessay, December 6.

"This is to announce that the Executive Secretary, by authority of the President, has signed yesterday, December 6, the extension of the service of Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff General Rey Leonardo Guerrero," Roque said in a statement.

"The President has extended his service to April 24, 2018, as per Republic Act No. 8186, or six months since he assumed office as AFP Chief of Staff," he added.

Guerrero, a graduate of Philippine Military Academy Class of 1984, is set to retire on December 17 this year as he reaches the mandatory retirement age of 56.

Republic Act 8186 states that a president can wield his power to extend the term of service of a military chief who is slated to reach the mandatory retirement.

Roque's announcement came on the heels of the powerful Commission on Appointment's decision to confirm on Wednesday, December 6, Guerrero's ad interim appointment as AFP chief-of-staff.

On October 25, Duterte picked Guerrero as the replacement of former AFP chief-of-staff General Eduardo Año, who reached compulsory retirement on October 26. (SunStar Philippines)

-


View Comments