PCSO chairman resigns | SunStar

PCSO chairman resigns

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

PCSO chairman resigns

Friday, January 12, 2018

CITING "health reasons," Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) chairman Jose Jorge Elizalde Corpuz has resigned from office, Malacañang confirmed on Friday, January 12.

Corpuz's resignation came in the wake of President Rodrigo Duterte's "cleansing" of government because of rampant corruption.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. clarified that Corpuz was not among the government officials who face dismissal.

"This is to announce that Mr. Jose Jorge Elizalde Corpuz has resigned as chairman and member, Board of Directors, Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office due to health reasons," Roque said in a statement.

"Mr. Corpuz, for the information of everyone, is not the person whom the President said he will fire for corruption," he added.

The PCSO has been under fire following reports that the agency had spent millions of pesos for its Christmas Party.

PCSO board member Sandra Cam earlier revealed that the agency shelled out about P10 million for its Christmas party, which was reportedly held at the Edsa Shangri-La's Isla Ballroom on December 19.

PCSO general manager Alexander Balutan, however, refuted Cam's claim, saying that only P6 million was spent for the said party.

Balutan also noted that the PCSO was originally given a P14-million budget by the Department of Budget and Management but the former decided to just spend P6 million.

He also stressed that the P8-million unspent funds would be allocated to the calamity fund for Urduja-hit areas. (SunStar Philippines)

View Comments