Duterte wants to shut down Boracay | SunStar

Duterte wants to shut down Boracay

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Duterte wants to shut down Boracay

Saturday, February 10, 2018

(SunStar file photo)

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte is mulling to shut down the resort island of Boracay, which he described as "cesspool."

Duterte made the pronouncement in a speech delivered during the Manila Times' business forum held in Davao City late night Friday, February 9.

"I will close Boracay. Boracay is a cesspool," the President said. "There will be a time that no more foreigner will go there because he will have -- when he goes back to the plane to where he belongs, he will be full of s*** going back and forth to the restroom."

Duterte was piqued by the numerous environmental concerns plaguing the popular island.

He said he could not stand the fact that Boracay, once in a pristine condition, is becoming polluted because of negligence.

"During days when I was there, garbage was just 20 meters away from the beach. At a distance, you see cotton balls in Boracay, [which] is a white sand," Duterte said.

"But you go into the water, it's smelly. Smell of what? S***, Because everything that goes out in Boracay… it's destroying the environment or the Republic of the Philippines and creating a disaster coming," he added.

There have been persistent demands to address environmental issues in Boracay as the island continues to draw more local and foreign visitors.

The President said he had already instructed Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to find ways to end the problems besetting Boracay.

The Environment and Tourism departments have agreed to step up efforts to save Boracay, including penalizing establishments found to have violated environmental and other laws. (SunStar Philippines)

View Comments