Police official asks: Where did Trillanes get his Davao crime data? | SunStar

Police official asks: Where did Trillanes get his Davao crime data?

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Police official asks: Where did Trillanes get his Davao crime data?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) directorate for operations chief Camilo Cascolan said Wednesday, February 14, he was “clueless” on the source of data presented by Senator Antonio Trillanes to support his statement that Davao City is the most dangerous city in the country.

“Ewan ko kung saan n’ya nakuha ‘yung statistics niya pero ‘yung statistics actually given last January 2017, statistics on murder and rape is actually right now in the Directorate for Operations. Davao City is number 4 when it comes to murder and in rape is number six,” he said.

(I do not know where he got his data. Based on the records of the Directorate for Operations, Davao City was number in terms of murder cases and number six in rape cases.)

On Tuesday, the Davao City Council unanimously approved a resolution declaring Trillanes as persona non grata in the city due to his statements claiming that Davao City is the most dangerous city in the country.

Trillanes, staunch critic of President Rodrigo Duterte, alleged that Davao City is number one in murder and number two in rape in the country.

"Declaring the city as the most dangerous city in the Philippines is not acceptable! This is an insult to the 1.6 million Dabawenyos who are working hard every day to make our city safe," said Davao City Vice Mayor Barnard Al-ag.

Cascolan, on the other hand, said Trillanes deserved it for "generating and spreading such fake news."

“Good for him because he is actually doing a lot of fake news when it comes to murder and rape. He cannot say that Davao city is not safe. There was actually a survey I think it was done in 2015 or 2016 and Davao City is said to be the safest city considering that if you go out at night wala na problema,” he said.

“Ewan ko kung ano motibo nya but I think he has to study his statistics. We will give him the stats if he wants to so he will know what is happening in Davao City. He just cannot say that it is not safe anymore because he already has our statistics,” he added.

Cascolan has yet to release the said statistics. (SunStar Philippines)

View Comments