Bar blast suspect surrenders to Binay-A A +A
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
MANILA (Updated 9:18 a.m.) -- The suspect of a grenade explosion that rocked a university in Manila has surrendered to Vice President Jejomar Binay before dawn Wednesday.
Forty-seven people were injured on September 26 after a loud explosion rocked the De La Salle University campus along Taft Avenue where the last day of multi-stage examinations for aspiring lawyers took place.
Reports said that the suspect, whose name was withheld, is a member of the Alpha Phi Omega. Binay was also a member of the fraternity group.
The Vice President will reportedly turn over the suspect to the Department of Justice (DOJ) in Manila.
The DOJ earlier gave the suspect until this week to surrender.
On Tuesday, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said the suspect has been identified including his affiliated fraternity group but could not be arrested yet as “certain group” is protecting him.
De Lima did not name the group, but she gave clues that this could be a fraternity that was earlier believed to have engaged in a gang war with another group on the day of the explosion.
“We know who he is, his name, which group he is affiliated. We got already his transcripts of records, we know his identity. We believe there are people protecting him, at this very moment but while we know his legal identity, there’s an ongoing operation to pinpoint his exact whereabouts,” she said.
Last Saturday, De Lima asked the suspect to surrender after his identity had been confirmed by the National Bureau of Investigation who also tracked the suspect’s hometown.
The suspect was earlier put under the Bureau of Immigration’s watch list so he would not be able to leave the country. (Sunnex)