3 PBA players suspended over on-court brawl-A A +A
Friday, September 6, 2013
MANILA -- Three players involved in Wednesday's brawl during the game between San Mig Coffee and Globalport were suspended and ordered to pay fines by the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).
Mark Pingris and Kelly Nabong will be out for two games and fined P60,000 each, said Commissioner Chito Salud on Friday or a day after he summoned the players involved in the altercation.
San Mig’s Joe Devance, meanwhile, will not see action for one game and was fined P30,000 for instigating the commotion that led to exchange of blows between Pingris and Nabong.
Globalport's Marvin Hayes was slapped with P20,000 fine for unsportsmanlike conduct, equivalent to a flagrant foul penalty 2, for elbowing and kneeing San Mig import Marqus Blakely on the floor after a foul had already been called.
"Fighting will not be condoned by the league. There is absolutely no justification for our players to get involved in fistfights. Strong emphasis is being placed on this policy so much so that those who dare to trigger fights will be dealt with accordingly," said Salud.
Salud reminded everyone that hotheads and troublemakers have no place in the league and for players to conduct themselves properly in public.
"Be more circumspect in the future. Our players' responsibility of role modeling, particularly to our youth, is sacrosanct in the PBA," the commissioner said.
The fistfight happened in the early minutes of the third quarter, when Hayes and Blakely took each other down and were called for a double foul. Devance joined the melee by shoving Hayes, pushing Nabong to charge in.
Blakely was hit by Nabong, who was later punched by Pingris. Nabong and Pingris were eventually separated by cooler heads in the floor including San Mig coach Tim Cone.
Pingris and Nabong were ejected from the game because of the incident. San Mig prevailed in the match, 102-88. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)