Cupang Dike ‘no longer a threat’-A A +A
Thursday, August 23, 2012
ARAYAT – First Engineering District officer-in-charge Engineer Rico Guilas assured on Thursday that the engineering interventions in the Cupang section of the Arayat-Apalit Setback Levee here are ongoing.
“So far it is no longer a threat. We are still doing engineering works so that we can protect the structure in the event of further rains,” Guilas told Sun.Star Pampanga.
It could be remembered that Pampanga Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PamCham) Chairman Emeritus Levy P. Laus, president Jim Jimenez, directors Alfrito Mah, Tony Koh and Joyce Duldulao, along with Guilas, Provincial Engineer Andy Austria and Cupang village chief Leonardo Salac, recently inspected and assessed the risks posed by the dike portion in light of the recent monsoon rains.
Branded as “a disaster in the making,” the 50-year-old dike, if damaged, would wreak havoc in the towns of Arayat, Sta. Ana, Mexico, and the City of San Fernando.
Guilas assured that the ongoing engineering works have strengthened the dike compared to its condition a week before. He added that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Provincial Engineering Office are taking steps to consolidate resources for the rehabilitation of the structure.
Guilas also added that the P123-million fund for the full rehabilitation of the dike is now under the pre-construction stage at the DPWH National Office where the bidding for the project will be conducted.
“Once the program funds are available, we can proceed with the construction as the engineering interventions are already in place by that time,” Guilas said.
Meanwhile, PamCham lauded Wednesday the Provincial Government, Provincial Engineer’s Office and the DPWH First Engineering District for being “proactive and not reactive” in swiftly implementing palliative measures for flood control infrastructure like the setback levee in Cupang.
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on August 24, 2012.